Re: package versions on the mirrors

On Mi, 05 feb 20, 20:30:17, Felix Miata wrote:
> How does one discover package versions on the mirrors? I know linux-image-* is
> there. How does one search for the versions of it hosted there? apt-show-versions
> linux-image-amd64 shows only one, and not which repo it comes from. Where does
> 4.19+105+deb10u1 kernel come from?
> https://wiki.debian.org/PackageManagement/Searching has no example. Which man page
> covers this?

Try apt(8) and / or apt-cache(8). Note that 'apt' supports most of the
'apt-cache' commands, even if not listed in the manpage.

    apt list -a <package>

will show all versions that are installed locally and/or available from
a configured repository. Same information and much more can be obtained
also with

    apt policy <package>

Beware that by default apt will install the most recent version of a
package in all available repository, unless pinning is configured[1].
You might not want to add repositories to your sources.list just to
check versions[2].

To find all versions of a package in the Debian archive (regardless if
configured or not) one can use rmadison from package devscripts[3]
(requires internet connection).

[1] 'apt policy' also show the priorities configured through pinning.

[2] ironically the 'experimental' repository is the "safest" to simply
add to your sources.list, because it has a very low priority by default
and apt will install from it only if the package is not available from
anywhere else.

[3] the package devscripts is a collection of many different tools and
recommends (instead of depends) on a *lot* of other packages, so that
you can install only what is needed for your specific tool. The
"recommends" needed for each tool are mentioned in the package
description.

Kind regards,
Andrei