Re: Planning a Debian NAS

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 12:20:01PM +0100, Linux-Fan wrote:
I'd recommend the ext4 filesystem in combination with RAID1 with MDADM
of each two devices such that you have two or three filesystems.  If
everything needs to be a single filesystem, I'd go for RAID10.

I agree with most of this advice.
For OP:

I'd think hard about whether you want RAID or not. Remember that RAID is not backup. Plan a proper backup strategy/system, then decide what RAID offers you on top: if it will offer something extra that you want (mostly, convenience if a drive fails), then go for RAID1 mirrored pairs.

If you are concerned about bit rot, make sure you generate checksums of the files you are concerned about, that you periodically check; check more frequently than a backup generation will cycle out, so you can restore the proper files from your backups if you detect bit rot. Alternatively/as well, consider generating parity data for these files using e.g. "par2" which means you could recover from bit rot even if it happened longer ago than your oldest backup generation.

FWIW, I don't bother with par2, I just use checksums.

--
👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
✎	    jon@dow.land