Re: Sudo

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 18:21:30 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sb, 25 ian 20, 19:28:39, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 12:27:21 -0600
> > Paul Johnson <baloo@ursamundi.org> wrote:

> > > I'm curious for more on this perspective.
> >
> > Sudo is just another path for the unscrupulous to gain priviledged
> > access. There are so many anyway.  Why add another?
>
> In the typical sudo setup the root account is locked, so both su and
> root logins are disabled.

My point is that sudo is more of a security "hole" since it only
requires a user's password which in my experience are less secure since
most users create short, easy to remember ones.

FWIW, on a single user system like the OP's (and ths one), su is
sufficient. Sudo is redundant.

> sudo also promotes good practices by using it only when really needed,
> which is both safer (less mistakes) and more secure (less code running
> as root).

I'm not advocating running a root/su terminal all the time, but only
when it's required: login, do what needs doing, logout.