Re: Re: Planning a Debian NAS

On 1/25/20 20:21, Aidan Gauland wrote:
On 26/01/20 3:17 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
ext4 is the best way to go unless you have extremely specific needs or you really want to overcomplicate things for a hobby.
I love over-complicating my hobbies.

I can't tell whether or not this response is facetious. If it is, and you are not determined for other reasons to use Linux, I recommend FreeNAS

(https://www.freenas.org/)

for this. It is free, actively maintained, commercial grade, and comes with well written and fairly comprehensive documentation. It also has an active community (including specific hardware advice) and allows access to its bug reporting system. Oracle's extensive ZFS documentation also is freely available and useful for matters not peculiar to the later commercial versions of ZFS.

The underlying OS is FreeBSD, but in normal operation does not require direct OS interaction. All normal system and storage administration can be done using a pretty decent graphical interface.

The hardware you suggest seems reasonable; they recommend a minimum of 8 GB memory, and my experience suggests their recommendations are quite conservative for a home network. The only obvious issue is that FreeNAS requires the OS on a device separate from the storage pool(s). I have used a USB key in one case, but would recommend a "real" disk, which could be USB attached; I don't quite trust USB keys for this, though the best of them probably are decently reliable.

ZFS on Linux is entirely doable, and the suggestion, in another response, of system on ext4 and and managed storage on ZFS also is quite reasonable. On the other hand, root on ZFS is not by any means a horror despite a hands-on install somewhat reminiscent of Debian in the early 1990s. The instructions at

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Debian-Buster-Root-on-ZFS

is good. I have (so far) two laptops, a desktop, and a couple of VMs set up that way, with ZFS native encryption on the laptops. Over periods of a few months to a year I have no ZFS-related issues with any of them.

Full disclosure: I have no connection with IXsystems other than as a satisfied user, and have used Linux (nearly all Debian) almost exclusively for over 25 years.

Regards,
Tom Dial
tdial@acm.org