Re: Howto?

On 26.01.20 03:03, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> Trying to sort out how to xz compress.  But xz is rejecting directories,
> like it expects tars output as its input. And the  manpage is silent on
> redirections.
>
> I want to compress the directory foo into foo.xz, keeping foo as there
> may be further patches applied in the future.
>
> Syntax?

Gene,

While the manpage says "xz is a general-purpose data compression tool
with command line syntax similar to  gzip", it appears to lack the -r
option. That'd be why the examples found with a "xz directory
compression" google use tar, I figure. (Like in the old days.)

Now we know what "similar" means.

Erik