Re: Displaying an arbitrary file in _both_ HEX and ASCII

On 25.01.20 05:51, Richard Owlett wrote:
> My current project is dealing with oddly formatted data. Mostly just plain
> ASCII. Progress on another aspect of my project has made this thread moot.

For the thread, there's also: $ apt-cache search bvi
                              bvi - binary file editor

                    found at: http://bvi.sourceforge.net/

But if it's mostly ASCII, with a few funnies, then I'd just vim the
file, and type ga to display the decimal, octal, and hex value of the
character under the cursor. To insert funny characters, I've found
digraphs sufficient. (Mapped more mnemonically if used often, e.g. ;e for æ)

And for a quick hex/ascii dump of a file, I've used this for over 30 years:

$ od -xc < /etc/issue
0000000    6544    6962    6e61    4720    554e    4c2f    6e69    7875
          D   e   b   i   a   n       G   N   U   /   L   i   n   u   x
0000020    3720    5c20    206e    6c5c    0a0a
              7       \   n       \   l  \n  \n
0000032

There are options for fudging the offsets, if needed.

Erik