Re: Running buster with jessie kernel possible?

On 22.01.2020 15:06, Robert Pommrich wrote:
Hi,

As documented in two bug [1] reports [2], the only working kernel for my
system is 3.16.
The system is running jessie stretch at the moment with the jessie stock
kernel, which is 3.16.

As I would like to upgrade to buster, I'd like to know:

Is it possible to run buster with the jessie kernel? Are there perhaps
dependencies of systemd or the like on a higher kernel version?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=931331
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=914517
I've read the logs from those reports, and I can't find out the reason why your system isn't starting and goes into boot loop.
Have you tried to start system in "single" mode, as in console mode only, without GUI? Or blacklisting "radeon" module?

Graphics adapter of your system is not supported by AMD anymore [1] and that means "radeon" kernel module won't be updated or fixed.
It looks like you also can't switch to alternative AMD driver "amdgpu" to see if it will fix the boot loop.

There is a possibility that BIOS update will fix your issue. [2] That would be the first thing I'd try myself. Your current version is 2.2 and 2.4 is available. Bios update could potentially be a dangerous procedure, so please take extra precautions when doing it.
Your motherboard has one 16x PCIE slot, so you could try an alternative graphics adapter, if you have proven a graphics adapter or its driver is the root cause for a boot loop.
Maybe try inexpensive and used one from Nvidia? Even legacy Nvidia driver 340.xx is still supported by Buster, so look for a supported adapter in official product list. [3]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_8000_series
[2] https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/FM2-A75IA-E53.html
[3] https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/135161/en-us#supported_products

--