Re: Poll about DVD drive behavior

Hi,

David wrote:
> After 10 minutes, the tray is still open.
> ata-HL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GH24NSD1_KD6I75B5854

Now it is getting interesting. I have a GH24NSC0 which does pull in.
Firmware version is "LK00". Yours is reported by lshw as "LW00".

The GH24NSD1 seems to be a younger version of the GH24NSC0 with the
additional ability to perform LightScribe and a bit more drive buffer.
The firmware names might indicate that yours is also individually
younger than mine. (For both i find firmware with second letter lower
than "K".)

Do you remember when you bought it ?

Some chatting and moderate nostalgy:

Dominique Dumont wrote:
> > > - HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH08LS20
>  Write Speed #3:        2.0x4495=8991KB/s
> Now, only the slowest write speed is somewhat reliable.

My GGW-H20L lives since years on a strict diet of BD-RE media. Already in
2011 it was not possible to buy BD-R media which still would work with it.
It cannot format BD-RE any more and likes those formatted by LG BH16NS40
much better than those formatted by ASUS BW-16D1HT or Optiarc BD-5300S.
Old people, ya know ...

But it is still my fastest drive when it comes to BD-RE burning in stream
recording mode.

I wrote:
> > A BD-ROM drive.

> Back in 2011, this was less expensive than a BD writer.

When i wanted a BD-ROM in 2009, the BD-ROM/DVDRW "combo" drive LG GGC-H20L
was cheaper than the BD-ROMs and is able to burn CD and DVD. I use it mostly
for check-reading. Astoundingly long-living stuff.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas