DVD "backup" trouble

	Dear list,

Today I was given a box of DVDs with the movies, conventional DVD video
(mpeg2/ac3) mostly.
Back in the old days one could make an ISO9660/UDF image of a DVD with a
simple "cat /dev/sr0 > file".
To my biggest surprise, I does not work for me anymore. But I tried this
approach last time back then stretch was stable.

Specifically, "cat", "ddrescue", and "safecopy" happly read about 1.2G
of any DVD I fed'em with (about several tens), *without* any errors,
*without* anything unusual in dmesg.
The only problem was - your typical DVD Video holds 4.7G data, so such
"backups" (so to say) were truncated.

I seem to be able to overcome the issue with (the thing rocks!):

xorriso abort_on NEVER -indev /dev/sr0 -check_media \
	time_limit=1800 report=blocks_files data_to=my.iso

because xorriso somehow read the DVD contents in full.

The question is - what did xorriso done differently? Is it a kernel bug,
as it seems that the kernel determined DVD block device size
incorrectly?

Reco