Re: web server for development

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 07:21:43PM +0100, deloptes wrote:
mick crane wrote:
I scp the files to a temp directory in my home directory on the server
then ssh into the server, su to root, change the permissions and
ownerships of the files then move them to /var/www/html/

for testing I usually configure something meaningful in apache and setup a
user that I would use to copy to the server. Keep it as simple as possible.

another option is to open the target directory and edit the code in place.

For the purpose of interactive development as I proceed through the
Template Toolkit tutorial in Chapter 11 of the O'Reilly Badger Book,
the "$ python3 -m http.server" approach is both working and simple.
Everything is in a single directory and only one machine is needed;
neither file movement (scp, FTP, RSYNC) nor change of permissions is
required.

Was not this simple approach to serving HTTP available back in
A.D. 2003 when the Badger Book was published?