Re: Protecting no longer supported Windows7

On 15.01.2020 10:25, john doe wrote:
Hi,

I have a Debian server serving/doing DHCP/DNS/firewall/..., as of today,
Microsoft stops supporting Windows7.

Is there anything that I could do to protect those Windows7 hosts that
are behind this server?

P.S.

For the sake of this question, upgrading to W10 /buying new Windows
devices is not an option.

--
John Doe

End of support for Windows 7 means that you won't get OS updates, or any kind of support anymore.
It also means Microsoft will now change many downloadable support packages so they won't run anymore on Windows 7 and delete TechNet articles about Windows 7, and also 3rd party software developers now have rights to deny any support for Windows 7.
If Windows 7 is unsupported it doesn't means it will stop function, it means, in terms of support and maintenance, you're on your own.
It will stay as secure as it is to this day and it doesn't really depend on firewall, if you won't open (port-forward) high risk service ports (like RDP, SMB, etc) to the internet, of course.
You have to keep in mind that network access over the Internet is only one of the many attack vectors.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org