Re: dhclient and ipv6 DNS Servers

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 03:00:50PM +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2020-01-14, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 09:37:05AM +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> >> I tried to switch to other servers, e.g. Google, but this does not work, since
> >>
> >> /etc/resolv.conf gets  overwritten with a high frequency
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf
>
> Actually, as I've said elsewhere (but I'm still dealing with a gmane
> post-absorption issue so I'll repeat it here) I believe he needs the
>
>  prepend dhcp6.name-servers ...
>
> option for ipv6 as described in the dhcp-options manpage. This
> is why he's receiving the "semicolon expected" error.

None of my systems have IPv6, so I can't be the one to verify any
of that information to add to the wiki page.  If you'd like to do it,
that's great.

Meanwhile, there are a few different ways to keep your resolv.conf
file untouched, rather than relying on isc-dhcp-client to continually
rewrite it in the form you want.  The wiki page describes some of
those ways.

Personally, I do not understand the appeal of the "put lines in
configuration file X so that isc-dhcp-client will use them when it
rewrites configuration file Y" approach.  I'd rather just edit file Y by
hand and tell isc-dhcp-client not to touch it at all.  It's a shame that
it's so incredibly difficult to do that.  But, that's why we have the
resolvconf package, and it's why we have the wiki page that describes
how to do it.