Re: after installing viber, nowhere to be found?

I got the file via this command:

wget https://download.cdn.viber.com/cdn/desktop/Linux/viber.deb

then,

kaye@laptop:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i viber.deb
Selecting previously unselected package viber.
(Reading database ... 268263 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack viber.deb ...
Unpacking viber (12.0.0.7) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of viber:
 viber depends on libssl1.0.0; however:
  Package libssl1.0.0 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package viber (--install):
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-4) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.62) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
 viber

Thank you.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 9:53 PM Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 12:40:24AM -0700, ghe wrote:

> > On Jan 9, 2020, at 10:57 PM, kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Here it is.
> >
> > kaye@laptop:~$ sudo whereis viber
> > [sudo] password for kaye:
> > viber:
>
> It's not on the machine. That explains q lot.
>
> A new install might be in order. Try aptitude or maybe synaptic -- something that talks a little more than apt-get.

No, the thing is, it's a snap.  It's not a Debian package.

> Hmm. On my box (Buster) aptitude claims there is nothing called viber-<anything> at any of my mirrors. I think you need more help than I can provide. Can anybody help OP?

A "snap" is a bloated pseudo-package that contains a private copy of
all the shared libraries and other resources needed to run the
application -- sort of like a statically linked binary, but even worse.
The application is also run in some sort of container.  It's all very
point-and-click, hand-wavey, "you don't need to know the details" stuff.

Whatever knowledge you bring to the table from years of Debian
administration is irrelevant.  The snap world has completely different
rules and expectations.

If you've heard of flatpak, that's pretty similar.