Re: web server for development

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 09:54:34AM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
... whether rsync is an option.
Sure, as long as you run it over ssh.  The default in Debian is to
run rsync over ssh, but it can also be explicitly invoked that way:
rsync -av --rsh=ssh host::module /dest
rsync -av -e "ssh -l ssh-user" rsync-user@host::module /dest
rsync -e "ssh -l sshuser" localpath remotehost:remotepath

For shared hosting, Hostgator offers:

(1) SFTP (SSH FTP, port 22)

(2) FTPS (FTP over SSL or TLS, port 21)

(3) SSH (ssh -p 2222 cpanelusr@ip.add.re.ss)

Searching packages in the Debian 9 (Stretch) archive, it appears to me
that the only command-line FPT clients capable of SFTP are lftp and
ftp, but I do not know how to determine whether lftp has been compiled
with SSH capability.

It appears that the only FTP package with which Hostgator support is
familiar is filezilla.

I am familiar with SSH and with RSYNC, but I have not yet used RSYNC
over SSH.

Also, even if I upload via RSYNC over SSL, there is need for something
similar to FTP for browsing the directory structure.  What is the
solution to that need?

RLH