Re: web server for development

On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 06:22:00PM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2020 09 Jan 14:29 -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > But now it seems that my first concern should be with FTP to the
> > server of Hostgator.  And in the case of a remote shared server, I
> > question whether rsync is an option.
>
> I would ask if their Web host supports Secure FTP, which is FTP using
> SSL, AIUI.  I use it for my Web Host updates, in fact it was recommended
> by the host owner/operator.

If that works for you, hey, cool.  But that sounds some sort of ugly hack
to try to continue using old FTP software, not a real step forward.

SFTP is a completely separate protocol that has nothing to do with FTP.
It isn't FTP wrapped in SSL.  It's typically part of SSH, so if you have
SSH access to your host, you'll almost certainly have SFTP as well.
(Some providers may give you SFTP without SSH, though.)

If the regular rsync-over-ssh solution doesn't work with your provider,
but you have SFTP access, then you can mount the provider's directory
using sshfs (which uses SFTP).  Then you can just rsync to the mounted
directory "locally".