Re: p7zip-full seems to be a built-in app for debian, but cannot be opened?

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 02:15:21PM +0800, kaye n wrote:
> Hello friends!
>
> Searching for p7zip-full in synaptic, I can see that it is installed.
>
> However I can't find it anywhere.
>
> In the terminal:
>
> kaye@laptop:~$ sudo whereis p7zip
> [sudo] password for kaye:
> p7zip: /usr/bin/p7zip /usr/lib/p7zip /usr/share/man/man1/p7zip.1.gz
>
> but is that the full version? and how can I execute it?

p7zip-full is the package's name, which is not always the
name of the binary it installed. You can see which files
were installed by p7zip-full with

  dpkg -l p7zip-full

(I guess some GUI packaging program can do that, too).

Things in /usr/bin are then programs you might invoke.

Read carefully the package descriptions for p7zip and p7zip-full
to see the differences. maybe p7zip-full just installs some more
tools beyond what p7zip would install, maybe the programs it
installs (p7zip and friends) just have some extra super-powers.
Maybe both.

Cheers
-- tomás