Re: 64bit ext4 and kernel version compatibility

R. Ramesh wrote:
> I want to make sure
> that my current kernel version does not have any limitation to support 64bit
> ext4.

Please consult the Kernel Wiki regarding Ext4:

	https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

You will notice that Linux 2.6.28 was the first suppored kernel with ext4,
which was released a quiet long time ago (around 2009). As your
distribution is running 3.13.0-132-generic, the support of ext4 should be
no problem (never tested it to be 100% sure).

Another important information I was missing of: the machine architecture
of your processor; whether you're running a 64bit kernel or 32bit kernel.

"uname -m" will tell you, if you have 64bit, like in "x86_64", or not.

I'm very unsure, if your processor is able to address such files. PAE
extension (32 bit) of Intel architecture supports it, but not sure about
other archs, like Raspberry Pi v1 has.

Nevertheless, I stronlgy recommend to upgrade to 16.04 LTS or better, if
this machine connects or is connectable from the internet, due to security
reasons.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel
GnuPG-Key-ID: 1024R/5068792D  1994-06-27