Re: package install: pinning and warnings

On Ma, 07 ian 20, 21:53:29, tom h wrote:
> So I've got a test box that I have sid installed on and the following in my
> /etc/apt/preferences
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 1000
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 100

Remember that apt will always prefer a newer version, unless the pinning
says otherwise. In your case the default priority of 500 for unstable
and testing will keep your system on unstable.

Short version: the pinning above is not necessary if you just want to
track unstable.

> I also have these two packages installed:
> sapt-listbugs apt-listchanges
>
> I went to install libvirt and received a number of bug warnings so I
> was hesitant.
>
> Whats the best practice to get a package and NOT install the bug
> versions?  Raise the priority of
>
> the testing branch temporarily?

Depending on the package manager you are using there are several methods
to (temporarily) keep a *lower* version installed.

The nicest in my opinion is aptitude's 'forbid-version' as it is
fire-and-forget (aptitude will try with the next version).

Other options are 'hold'ing the package (via dpkg or aptitude, honored
also by apt) or a version pin:

Package: foo
Pin: version 1.2-3
Pin-Priority: -1

See 'man apt_preferences' for details. Do ask if something is not clear
in the man page.

'apt policy' and 'apt policy foo' are very useful in troubleshooting
pinning.

Kind regards,
Andrei