Re: Root is in RO after boot

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 10:24 AM Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
Le 07/01/2020 à 15:28, Kenneth Parker a écrit :

> As far as I know, it's mounted ro, so that initrd can check if it is okay

Nonsense. The initramfs can check the root filesystem before mounting
it, so it does not need to mount it read-only.

I've been wrong before.  So are you saying that initrd is called without / being mounted at all!

> (via fsck).  And initrd is then supposed to remount it rw.

I don't think so. If you change the default final init with something
like init=/bin/bash for example, you can see that the root filesystem is
still mounted read-only. So something in the init system remounts it
read-write. With sysvinit it is done in checkroot.sh according to mount
options in fstab. I don't know about systemd.

Something more, for me to learn.

Kenneth Parker