Re: buster xfce fails to start

On 1/6/20 10:48 AM, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 09:42:46AM -0500, Kenneth Parker wrote:

>> That's funny:  I installed Buster on a Laptop just last week via
>> netinst, and
>> selected xfce (Expert Install menu), and got lightdm.  What's
>> different with
>> the Original Poster?   For example, did you forget to Select a Username?

Oops. I forgot that the first thing I do is replace lightdm -:)

> P.S. I specified XCFE because I hate the Gnome scheme ("It's there,
> but invisible; just search for it with the mouse."); I need to see
> menus.

XFCE's way less 'user friendly' than Gnome. But when you get used to it,
you'll be much happier, IMHO.

> P.P.S.  Typing "startx" at the CLI returns an error message, something
> like "xserver not available"...

Something's bent. I've never had your problem(s) either. It looks to me
like something's missing in X. If I were in your situation, I wouldn't
waste time trying to figure out what's missing and what to do about it.

Perhaps a reinstall in in order. Do you use the 'Expert Install' menu?
Kenneth and I do, and it works real good for both of us.

--
Glenn English