Re: Giveaway-Laptop: sending system mails

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 17:28:39 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 31 dec 19, 14:11:06, Markus Grunwald wrote:
> > Dear List Participants,
> >
> > An elder friend of mine uses his 10 year old Sony Vayo with Windows 7
> > mainly for browsing the net, homebanking, E-Mails. Due to several
> > reasons, I want to give him a Laptop with Debian Linux that I will support.
> >
> > Several things should work to keep my active involvement low. One of the
> > basics is: I want to get mails whenever "something" happens. I think
> > that msmtp is the right tool for me, but correct me if I'm wrong, please.
> >
> > But, there is a problem: I have to put the plain mail password in
> > /etc/msmtprc, because the normal user won't be there to unlock a gpg
> > file or give msmtp the password in any other way. That means, I want
> > /etc/msmtprc to be only readable by root (440). But then, users other
> > than root (nobody maybe?) won't be able to send mails...
>
> It seems like you already have a solution for msmtp.
>
> Other options to consider are dma and opensmtpd, which can also queue
> messages if e.g. the system is not connected to the internet at that
> time.

Just a word of caution: while they obviously work for some people, my
experience with the simple and light smtp agents has not been good:
they often have bugs, sometimes serious ones, and are sometimes missing
essential features. I eventually bit the bullet and went back to a
full-blown, solid smtp system (postfix).

Celejar