Dual monitors - after monitor sleep, forget settings

Hi,

I'm using an Intel NUC (BOXNUC8i5BEK1). I'm running Buster and the MATE environment. I had been using a single monitor, via the HDMI port and a VGA adapter, since I have a very old monitor.

A few days ago, I added a second monitor via the USB-C port and an adapter, also to VGA. Actually this monitor has a DVI port, but I happened to have a VGA cable right in front of me and the USB-C video adapter has both ports. The Display applet let me set up the two monitors with extended desktop quite easily.

(OK, technically I have *two* very old monitors.)

I had no screensaver, just having the monitors power off after an hour.

When powered back on, the monitors would be mirrored, with the larger, higher-resolution monitor (connected via HDMI) mirroring the one attached using USB-C (as shown by the Display applet, once I started it). I tried installing xscreensaver. If it just displays and locks the screen, the monitor settings remain. If the xscreensaver settings turn off the monitors, they revert to mirroring as above.

Should I report this as a bug?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--