Re: Little problem with rights on a script

On Sunday 17 November 2019 09:44:21 Nicolas George wrote:

> Hans (12019-11-17):
> > The script settings are >      rwsr-xr-- root:dip
> > and as far as I know, it should start with the rights of root.
>
> Linux does not honor SUID bits for scripts, because it is very tricky
> to implement without security issue and most interpreters do not make
> the effort.
>
> You need another way of increasing privileges. Possibly nothing at
> all, since the privileges of the group may be enough.
>
> Regards,

i have a similar situation with heyu, which runs as a normal user. But
udev insists all the ttyUSB# ports are root:root, so I've put a couple
lines in my rc.local for the last decade or so to make me own, with 0666
rights, the port the cm11a is plugged into. heyu then fires itself up as
me and works, doing its job of managing the exterior lights around my
home at night.

You may have to resort to similar measures.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis