Re: armhf version of bzip2 is broken

On Monday 11 November 2019 12:34:08 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 12:08:15PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > And its man page says its a 2010 version. And it won't touch a just
> > over 4G built kernel tarball.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> 0) Give all the background details of your setup, like what version of
>    Debian you're running, what hardware, what version of bzip2 is
>    installed, where you got this input file....
Not debian since your arm is now arm64 from buster on.  But for realtime
kernels, armhf from raspbian isn't arm64 but armhf. has a smaller stack
frame and better latency's can be achieved for programs needing a
realtime kernel. Linuxcnc is such a program.

The problem is that a built kernel is 4038000640 byte when converted to a
tarball, but the best compressor is a 2010 version of bzip2 and it has
an instant tummy ache with that big a file:

pi@rpi4:/media/pi/slash $ bzip2 -z 4.19.71-rt24-v7l+.tar
bzip2: Can't open input file 4.19.71-rt24-v7l+.tar: Value too large for
defined data type.

> 1) Show the command you are running.

See the copy/paste from the rpi4's screen above.

> 2) Show the error message it produces.

See above. Do we have another compressor that will work? And gzip won't,
it produces unrecoverable garbage from the above file, which lists just
fine with a tar tf command.

pi@rpi4:/media/pi/slash $ bzip2 -V
bzip2, a block-sorting file compressor.  Version 1.0.6, 6-Sept-2010.

Rather ancient for 2019 code.

> 3) File a bug report.  Which will involve:

>    a) Giving all the background details of your setup, like what
> version of Debian you're using, what hardware, what version of bzip2
> is installed, where you got the input file....
>    b) Showing the command you are running.
>    c) Showing the error message it produces.

But since you'll ignore it since its (bzip2) not directly sourced from
debian, I'll take  it to the raspbian forum, where since it involves a
realtime kernel they also will ignore it.  The realtime is totally moot
IMO, the size of slightly over 4Gigs is the real problem

Theres a sig floating around, that says all progress is caused/created by
the unreasonable man. I guess I am that man.

So where then, do I find answers/help with problems such as this?  I have
built linuxcnc to run on an rpi4, running a 1500 lb, 70 yo Sheldon lathe
I've put good screws in and motors to turn those screws. Now I'd like to
distribute that code so that others may also benefit.

Thanks Greg

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis