Re: Correlation between Log Files and Display Report?

On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 04:47:24PM +0530, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> To,
> The Team Debian User,
> Debian.org

It's called debian-user because all of the people reading it are users
of Debian.  Each of us is an individual Debian user just like you.  The
only difference is that some of us have more experience in specific
areas.

> I had posted the following email to the two lists, boot and kernel,
> with the query below. Kindly help me draw a correlation between error
> display on the monitor and the log files, such as, kern.log, syslog,
> user.log and so on, within /var/log/ folder.

For the most part, logging in /var/log/ is done by the rsyslogd daemon,
according to the rules laid out in the /etc/rsyslog.conf file.

Messages are logged by individual applications using the syslog(3) library
call, or the logger(1) shell command.  Messages have a "facility" and
a "priority", specified by the caller.  The rsyslogd daemon sorts them
based on the facility and priority, and writes them to the appropriate
files, or to all active terminals, etc.

The syntax of the rsyslog.conf file is pretty terse (it's the traditional
syslog.conf syntax from Unix), so you might want to read rsyslog.conf(5)
to help you understand it.

There's a bit more to it (the kernel has its own ring buffer of log
messages accessible via dmesg, and there's systemd's journal, for example),
but this is a good starting point for the files in /var/log/.