Re: Cannot open Chromium browser in same workspace (from which it was launched)

On 11/3/19, Vipul <finn02@disroot.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm facing an issue with **Chromium** web browser (Debian's official
> build). Chromium browser isn't opening in same workspace (workspace from
> which I launched it). It always opens in workspace in which its last
> window was closed, no matter whether that workspace exist? or not.
> 	To fix this problem, I've to launch it twice, in first launch, let it
> open in workspace it wants to open; and if this isn't the same workspace
> in which I'm working, launch it again.
>
> Some instances of problem:
> 1). Let's suppose, last window of Chromium is closed in workspace-X. If
> I launched Chromium from workspace-Y; if **Y != X** (both X and Y are
> not equal), my workspace automatically switched to **workspace-X** and a
> Chromium window opens.
> Fix:
> Launch Chromium twice times from **workspace-Y**.
>
> 2). Let's suppose, last window of Chromium is closed in workspace-X. If
> I launched Chromium from workspace-Y and total number of workspace
> currently you're using is Z and **X > Z+1**, it opens in workspace-Y,
> which is an expected behavior.

Hi, Vipul.. This is just a "wild guess", but try looking at what the
desktops think Chromium should be doing. After you've opened Chromium
in any given desktop, try right-clicking over the top of where it
shows on however you have that panel set up.

As an example, *my* primary panel sits at the top of my screen. I
would right-click over Chromium's active entry there.

Some (but likely not all) releases and desktop environments and all
that good shtuff... let you decide if any given program stays open in
only one particular desktop, e.g. the next one to the right, OR in all
of them *IF* you have more than one desktop available.

What I'm thinking is that it's possible you, or someone else if anyone
else uses your computer, accidentally or otherwise may have chosen
that option *IF* it's available on your setup.

If that *CHOICE* for a program's desktop residence is not available, I
unfortunately can't think of anything else that might be causing that
just this second. :)

Good luck solving what's going on.

PS This is one of the very few things that I've never seen a secondary
way of achieving that same effect. If anyone knows of a different way
to do the above, it's always nice to have at least two ways to get to
whatever needs done on any operating system, really. #ThankYou in
advance if anyone knows of anything!

PPS *IF* there is a secondary way to choose a program's desktop
residence, maybe that's how it got changed, too, *IF* that turns out
to be what happened. I'm imagining an errant cursor going click happy
behind the user's back. Has happened to me on more than one.. or
three.. occasions. *Those darn dogs (again)!*

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *