Re: Backup Times on a Linux desktop

On Sat, Nov 02, 2019, Konstantin Nebel wrote:
> So now I am thinking. How should I approach backups. On windows it does
> magically backups and remind me when they didnt run for a while. I like that
> attitude.
(...)
>  I like to turn off
> my computer at night. So a backup running in night is not really an option
> unless I do wake on lan and run backup and then turn off.
(...)

Someone already recommended setting up a cron job for triggering backups
on a regular schedule. That takes care of the automagic part.

These days I use rsync with the --link-dest option to make
complete Time-Machine(tm) style backups using hardlinks to
avoid file duplication in the common case.  In this
scenario, the top-level directory is typically named based
on date and time, e.g. back-2019.11.04-05:32:06.

I usually make backups while the system is running, although
I'm not sure it's considered kosher. It takes around 10% of
CPU on my i5 system.

--
Joel Roth