changing desktop manager from gnome to xfce in debian

Hi,

I recently switched from using debian 9 (stretch) to debian 10 (buster).  I did this on a new partition of my disk so i think it should be a clean install, and it seems to be.

The desktop manager looks different: i think it is gnome, but i'd like it to be xfce.

What i did was to install the xfce4 package, then ran
     sudo update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
switching from (iirc) mutter to lightdm.  Then i rebooted.

But everything looks the same, so i imagine that my update-alternatives was not the right move, and/or i didn't understand the page i was reading.

So my questions are:
(1) How can i identify which desktop manager i have?  Ideally i'd like to do that with some command line move, like running 'which-desktop' or something like that.
(2) Having identified it, how do i change it?

TIA for any info!

dan