Re: Backup Times on a Linux desktop

On Sunday 03 November 2019 01:49:15 ghe wrote:

> > On Nov 2, 2019, at 05:42 PM, Linux-Fan <Ma_Sys.ma@web.de> wrote:
> >
> > Konstantin Nebel writes:
> >> this is basically a question, what you guys prefer and do. I have a
> >> Linux destkop and recently I decided to buy a raspberry pi 4 (great
> >> device) and
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> Now i attached a 4 tb drive to my pi and I decided what the heck,
> >> why not doing backups now.
> >>
> >> So now I am thinking. How should I approach backups. On windows it
> >> does magically backups and remind me when they didnt run for a
> >> while. I like that attitude.
>
> I've used Amanda (in a shell script like Gene does) for going on 20
> years. It's been rock solid. I use it with tape, but I hear it backs
> up to disks too. The only thing I don't like about it (coming from
> memory of the experience when I configured it these many years ago) is
> that it's pretty difficult to get going. Now that it's going, though,
> I easily change things all the time.
>
> Recovering from a backup is a reasonable job. I don't do it very
> often, but the recovery software is pretty good about asking questions
> and providing help if you haven't used it for a few months.

Just 4 or 5 days ago, I had to recover the linuxcnc configs from a backup
of the pi3, making a scratch dir here at home, then scanned my database
for the last level0 of the pi3b, pulled that out with amrecover then
copied what I needed back to the rpi4 now living in my Sheldon Lathes
control box. File moving done by an old friend, mc, and sshfs mounts.
Totally painless, and all the magic I had written on the pi3 is now
running considerably better on the pi4.  Saves me from having to
re-invent at least 2 wheels you won't find on any other cnc lathes, that
took me over 6 months to develop.

> It doesn't do magic, like Winders does, though. You have to tell it
> what kind of magic you'd like. I have a cron job that runs the backup
> every couple days (in the middle of the night). And another that
> reminds me to change the tape -- amanda whines when I ignore the
> reminder/forget to change the tape. Very thoughtful and well done
> software.
>
> Oh, and it backs up all the computers on my LAN, including my 'Pi. And
> as best I know, it's strictly CLI.

I don't use tapes, but virtual tapes, 60 of them on a 2TB drive, and
which are nothing but a directory entry on the disk. So I have backups
up to 60 days old instantly available. Using tapes nearly bankrupted me
as the hard drives will outlast tapes by at least 1000/1. Amanda ages
out the old ones and reuses the space on the drives with no drama.  This
wouldn't do for business records of course, but is ideal for a home
workshop. I started out with a 1T drive but after several years it was
getting crowded, so it got replaced with a 2T about a year back.  The
retired 1T has nearly 80,000 spinning hours on it with a perfect bill of
health from smartctl.
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis