how to get odbc working for connection to mariadb in debian buster

Hi.  I am having a terrible time trying to get a package to connect to
mariadb using Debian buster.  There seems to be no package in the
repository and when I tried to build the source package downloaded
from mariadb itself, it looks for include files in the wrong places,
such as /usr/include/mysql.h .  What packages do I need for this to
work properly?    I have unixodbc and its development files along with
the obcinst packages, but no driver for the database.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una