vnc 64bit-32bitor Buster to Bullseye

Greetings;

I have a vanilla 64-bit install of Buster which claims to be Debian 10.1. I am trying to vnc from there to my old 32-bit machine which is running Bullseye (don't know what it claims to be).

Using tightvncserver on the 32-bit side and xtightvncviewer on the 64-bit side I have managed to get a connection, but no desktop manager. The viewer shows me a window but it is just gray, actually very small black and white spots.

How do I get xfce started on that session? Better yet, how can I connect to the existing session on :0? I can't seem to hook up to that. Strangely, when I connect to a Windows machine it seems to do exactly that!

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Many TIA!
Dennis