3d acceleration broken out of the box on h/w that has been supported correctly in the past.

This is present in Buster and Stretch - can't remember precisely when it broke.

Don't know which package maintainer is responsible, have searched a  lot and found many similar sounding issues yet not been able to fix it myself, nor find active similar bug. Possibly one filed with glx-alternative

The breakage is fairly innocuous - unless your DE tries to do too much - like KDE Plasma..  However 360 degree videos will without fail be garbled. (I vaguely remember this occurring sometime between Wheezy and Stretch but didn't really pay it much attention at the time). Installation of the proprietary 304xx nvidia driver (in Stretch as no longer included since Buster) changes but does not fix the issue.

I get the impression it's something to do with the spaghetti of openGL symbolic links, but I'm a little out of my depth.

Would love to get some help to rectify this one way or another.