Re: fstrim and Luks / dm-raid

On Sunday, October 06, 2019 04:32:36 AM Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> >> Asynchronous and synchronous to what ?
> >
> > To SSD's I/O queue.
>
> Can you explain what it means or provide any pointers ?

Without looking it up, I'll try to explain synchronous and asynchronous in my
terms:

For things to be synchronous means that they are done in a (prescribed or
foreordained) sequence.  LIke standing in a bank queue with one teller,
customers are taken in order and the business of one customer is finished
before the next is started.

When things are asynchronous, they don't (necessarily) follow such a sequence,
a new customer may be served before the previous is finished, and any customer
in the queue may be served in any sequence, before or after the business of
some previous customer is finished.

I guess, to be synchronous to the SSD's I/O queue means that the requests for
service by the SSD are done in a defined sequence, like FIFO (First In, First
Out -- service in the order of arrival at the queue -- no jumping the line),