Re: cannot bring up phpmyadmin in browser, cannot link to mysql

On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 23:08:00 +0200
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Miles Fidelman wrote:
>
> > Other piece of advice:  I've found that complex software works
> > better when installed from a source tarball, with ./config; make
> > install.
>
> Sorry, but this is a complete BS.
>
> Also reffering to some notes from may be 15y ago does not answer the
> question.
>
> The one which urges to go through the installation steps is a good
> one. I would also add that OP should go through the mysql/mariadb
> installation notes.
>
> Most likely it is due to the fact they want to use phpmyadmin with
> root access from the web browser, which I think is disabled unless
> you set password for root.

I'm not sure what version is in the OP's installation. Current
MySQL/MariaDb only allows (mysql) root login from a (host) root login
i.e. not through phpmyadmin at all, ever. It is necessary to login as
root on a terminal on the server, and set up another mysql admin account
in order to use phpmyadmin. But if you try root through phpmyadmin, you
will be given a clear error message. Seeing no phpmyadmin at all means
an installation (or apache2) problem. Apache can also be a fussy beast.

--
Joe