Enzo Guerra, on 2019-10-04 :
> hello

Hi,

This:
> on https://wiki.debian.org/AMDGPUDriverOnStretchAndBuster2
> section:
> What you need/Prerequistes
> line:
> A debian system running stretch or buster with kernel 4.19.x
>     linux-headers-<version>-amd64 package has to be installed so that
> you can compile the admgpu driver
>         apt-get install linux-headers-<version>-amd64
tells us that a kernel 4.19 is needed.  For Stretch, this means
that you will need the kernel 4.19 from backports, but given
your terminal output:
> Building for 4.9.0-9-amd64
> Building for architecture amd64
> Module build for kernel 4.9.0-9-amd64 was skipped since the
> kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
you are attempting this manipulation on Linux 4.9; I reckon
that it is easy to be confused by these version numbers.

As of the inconsistency between linux-image and linux-headers,
actually, your package linux-image-4.9.0-9-amd64 is out of date
and replaced by linux-image-4.9.0-11-amd64, which matches the
header you mention:
> apt-cache search linux-headers-4.9.0-
> linux-headers-4.9.0-11-all-amd64 - All header files for Linux 4.9

But since it is the kernel 4.19 that is mentioned in the wiki
article, I suspect that you will need to bump both your Linux
image and headers version to 4.19.X.

> cannot find linux-headers-4.9.0-9-amd64 anywhere
> not sure what to do now
> can you please advise what to do next ?

> MSI RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC

Cool!  I also have an RX 560, bought a few months ago to replace
my old HD 5770 and take advantage of amdgpu and vulkan
compatibility.  I'm running Debian Sid, which provides a more
than decent support for this card, almost out of the box, and
for quite some time already.  The driver is directly available
in Linux, I only needed the non-free firmware-amd-graphics to
make sure the card operates properly, and of course the package
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu.  Maybe you could simply consider an
upgrade to Debian 10 if Debian 9 doesn't do with this card?

Contrary to NVidia, for which decent support of their cards is
only achieved by their proprietary driver, open source drivers
support for AMD GPU is relatively decent.  Maybe Debian 9 is a
bit old for that particular card though, but I haven't had the
opportunity to test it on that OS level.  For which purpose
would you need specifically the amdgpu-pro driver?

Kind Regards,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d