Re: disk going bad? or fuser related issues? . . .

Albretch Mueller, on 2019-10-04:
>  Lately I have been noticing the NTFS partition being slower than
> usual: telling me I am not allowed to open that partition and/or the
> OS doing it itself but taking its time (like 5 seconds). The other
> partitions mount just fine, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.
>
>  Is that disk partition somehow going bad or there might be something
> else going on?

I vaguely recall from the previous decade that NTFS is subject
to noticeable performance loss while fragmenting.  From time to
time, you may want to run a defragmenter tool on this drive, to
reorder file blocks.

> root@mrme:~# mount --types ntfs --verbose /dev/sdc1 /media/mrme/NTFS
> Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.
> The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which
> could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.

I've had that kind of behavior in a dual boot context, while the
Windows system kept the partition still mounted even after a
poweroff, in order to boot faster (sic) afterwards.  I had a
solution which involved disabling the Fast Boot capability of
the motherboard for one, and second to always use the Restart
button instead of Shutdown, which actually put the machine in
some kind of deep-sleep.  Which little luck it may just be that.

Kind Regards,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d