Re: Default date output format changed after an upgrade to buster

On Wed 11 Sep 2019 at 07:26:33 (-0000), Curt wrote:
> On 2019-09-10, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 2019-09-10 22:06 +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> >>
> >> after an upgrade from stretch to buster, the date default output changed on my
> >> system
> >>
> >> As an example:
> >>
> >> Tue Sep 10 19:50:26 CEST 2019   (stretch)
> >> Tue 10 Sep 2019 09:26:33 PM CEST      (buster)
> >>
> >> I am just wondering if this is a known issue or if another configuration change
> >> during the upgrade caused this.
> >
> > The default format very much depends on your locale.  In the en_US.UTF-8
> > locale I also see the difference, but I think it's a bug fix.  The
> > buster output looks more like what an American user would expect.  If
> > you don't like it, set LC_TIME to something else, e.g. en_GB.UTF-8.
>
> You'd assume Americans would be less bewildered without the
> "military-style" 24 clock (I remember old dad quizzing me when I was a
> kid: "What time's 1700 hours?"), but then again our rather unique
> habit of putting the month before the day (as in mm-dd-yyyy) is reversed
> by the upgrade, so it seems to be a tie cultural imperialism-wise.

What surprised me is the use of 12am and 12pm in the States. When
I was at grammar school (in the days of 12hour times), you lost
marks for writing either of these contradictions. It was either
12 noon, 12 midnight, or 12 o'clock (where there's no ambiguity).

Even more astonishing is the fact that the US Government switched
their am/pm meanings sometime between 2000 and 2008, which shows
just how ambiguous they are.

Cheers,
David.