Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 12:21:45PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I'm building a RealtimePi buster-lite on the pi3 right now. Just one
> $PITA problem, raspian insists the first, usr 1000 is
> "pi".  Is there a foolproof way to convert that to "gene", or am I stuck
> logging into it as "pi"?

You keep asking Raspbian questions on debian-user.  Maybe you should be
talking to a Raspbian mailing list about your Raspbian questions.

>From the Debian point of view, you can simply login to the computer as
root, then edit the /etc/passwd file and the /etc/shadow file (and
probably the /etc/group file also, because I'm guessing you also want
to change a group name).  Change "pi" to "gene", save and exit.  Voila.

For safety, you should use "vipw", "vipw -s" and "vigr" to perform those
edits, but it's not actually required on Debian.

If you want to retain the "pi" username, you can copy its lines and
change "pi" to "gene" only in the copy.  Then you would have two user
account names (pi and gene) which both map to UID 1000.  Files/processes
owned by UID 1000 will display with whichever name appears first in the
passwd file.  This may be a useful alternative if Raspbian has some
scripts or programs which hard-code the "pi" user name.