Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

On Sunday 08 September 2019 06:12:08 David wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 at 19:51, David <bouncingcats@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 at 06:59, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > > [...] What did I do wrong [...] ?
> >
> > I don't know about the Debian ARM images, but if
> > they were relevant then I assume they would be
> > mentioned at the links above.
>
> And here's a very recent discussion of what is required to
> install Ubuntu server in either 32 or 64bit version on
> Raspberry Pi 4, which may be helpful:
> https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-ubuntu-server-18-04-2-installa
>tion-guide/
>
> I don't have any special needs for my Pi 4 so it is currently
> running with a Raspbian image, like most people do.
> https://raspbian.org/RaspbianImages
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

I get the impression its going to take till bullseye to begin to get it
all in "one sock" for the pi4b. The above is fraught with all sorts of
patches & fixes, none of which have descriptive enough names to their
downloads to remember what the hell they do next week.  None of that is
your (debian's) fault, but it does take time to merge all that into an
it just works package.

Based on that, I may, probably will, revert to a stretch install on the
pi3b, and put up with the video frame rate you can count on your
fingers. It does run the machine fairly well. But I'll also have the
pi4b setup on the table, and keep it on testing I think, just to watch
progress.

Unless the RealtimePi guy makes a buster kit for the rpi3b that uses the
new video libraries, that would be awful tempting to play with on a
pi3b. So far, his realtime kernels are too old to use the new video,
which is nearly 20x faster.

Whoever gets there first, with a stable os is what it boils down to. At
this point, it looks like raspians 2nd buster release, if the hm2_rpspi
driver works with it.  Thats a big if. And it must work else I'll be out
around $200 for all new interfacing hardware.

Thanks for the heads up David, you are going to save me time. Time I may
not have, but so far he's not doing anything final. I appreciate it, a
lot.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis