Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

On Saturday 07 September 2019 17:26:33 deloptes wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > There is only a split second of activity of the green led, then it
> > just sits there, no on screen msg of any kind.  What did I do wrong
> > in dd-ing the net-install iso to the new 64GB u-sd card?
>
> I ordered also one RPI4 few days ago, waiting for it to arrive. From
> my experience with RPI2 you need to take care of the boot loader
> first. It is not a simple process, but not sure how it looks like in
> RPI4 - I assume the same as mentioned here:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteep
>rom.md
>
> To test the RPI I used TFTP boot and old 256MB sd card where I put the
> bootloader for network boot. It was much easier to compile and test
> any software on the server.
>
> The boot partition must be vfat and hold the firmware.

gpt or mbr, I see later fdisks can do either, so I changed the disk to
#6, did a w, and rewrote the iso using the armhf net-install file.
Putting it in the pi4, and powering it up got me the shortest flash of
the green led I've seen, then just the red was steady nothing else, not
even any heat from the as yet sinkless SOC. Obviously the raspi faq is
missing valuable u-sd card prep info.  The rpi4 came in a damned near
empty box, not even a power hookup showing, so based on that purportedly
matching a pi3, 5.11 volts on gpio pin 2 and ground on pin 6.

Whats next?

> regards

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)