Re: Virtual Box

On 3/8/19 9:10 pm, Nate Bargmann wrote:
* On 2019 03 Aug 02:25 -0500, Sven Hartge wrote:
Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
On 2019 02 Aug 12:11 -0500, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:

Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
Buster repositories.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I grabbed the .debs from the Sid repository and manually installed
them.  I've not gotten around to setting up pinning to track them
automatically.

This will work for now, because Buster and Sid are still quite similar
but as soon as Sid diverges farther from Buster, this will fail or
worse, pull many dependencies from Sid into you Buster installation.

I understand that.  I hope that by that time I'll be so bored with the
stability of Buster that it will be time to move up to Bullseye while it
is still Testing.

- Nate

I found a simple guide at

https://www.linuxbabe.com/debian/install-latest-virtualbox-6-0-10-debian-10-buster

In summary:
Create new sources file:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/oracle-virtualbox.list

with this text:
deb https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster contrib

Run this command to add key:
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

apt(-get) update
and install
apt(-get) install virtualbox-6.0

This installed Version 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.9.5)

--
Keith Bainbridge

ke1th3216@gmail.com
+61 (0)447 667 468