Re: PROGRESS!! - was {Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?}

On 5/08/19 12:07 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 12:58:14PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
>
>> what sort of cable ?
>> If ethernet, machine to machine directly seem to recall you might
>> want a cross over cable.
>> Can chop cable in two and connect the
>> red to green,
>> green to red,
>> red stripy to green stripy
>> green stripy to red stripy
>> ....I think.
>
> Ethernet crossover is pretty much defunct [1].
>
> These days (> 1998) most Ethernet hardware can sort this out
> automatically (called Auto MDI-X [2]). So unless you are using
> historical hardware, this is a non-issue. Still, for people
> in contact with old hardware, it is a good skill to have :-)
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable#Automatic_crossover
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Dependent_Interface#Auto_MDI-X

And if you are making a crossover, I wouldn't rely on the colours -
there's multiple correct options for those. And none of the colours is
red :-)

And as for cutting and joining - you're going to get a pretty awful
cable that way, and unreliable at speed. Better to cut one plug off and
put a new one on, but that requires a plug and crimper.

But as Tomas says, if either end is remotely recent, it's a non-issue.

Richard