Re: odd passwd problem.

On Saturday 03 August 2019 10:03:18 David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 02 Aug 2019 at 22:41:00 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Its a 5 amp switcher.

> > > I've done that too, its displaying exactly what I typed.
> >
> > And I am being ignored. So here is a thought.
>
> Well, I didn't realise you were using a DM to login when I wrote my
> first reply. As with the SSD, I would have you revert from a DM to
> an ordinary VC login. But I know so little about DEs that I don't
> know if that's possible. What does a DM buy you?

A nice gui with lots of workspaces. Menu's to run stuff.
> > Someone has recently mentioned a new method of encrypting passwds.
> > Is it possible that something in xfce4 has changed to the new
> > method, but the passwd in the passwd file was encrypted with the
> > older method, and that an ssh login is still useing the old method,
> > so I can login remotely only? So possibly it might be fixed by an
> > apt update/upgrade? Unforch, there is nothing to upgrade:
>
> AIUI passwords are not encrypted, they're hashed.
And apparently each hash is unique? I've checked 4 machines here, and the
shadow files entry for me is different on all 4 machines.

> > copy/paste from a konsole logged into it.
> >
> > gene@picnc:~$ sudo apt update
> > [sudo] password for gene:
> > Get:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates
> > InRelease [39.1 kB]
> > Hit:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
> > Get:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease [46.8
> > kB] Get:4 http://security.debian.org/debian-security
> > buster/updates/main Sources [25.9 kB]
> > Get:5 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main
> > arm64 Packages [51.5 kB]
> > Get:6 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main
> > Translation-en [28.9 kB]
> > Fetched 192 kB in 2s (81.9 kB/s)
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > All packages are up to date.
> > gene@picnc:~$
> >
> > But is that the proper list of repo's to query?
>
> Posting your sources.list would be more typical.

but much more difficult to copy and chown to get it in the rights for
kmail-trinity to attach or include. I have to copy them to someplace
neutral, chown the perms, as my sshnet runs as me, specifically denies
root, so once I can copy it across the cat5 to someplace in /home/gene
on this machine, then I can attach or include it.

> > Or maybe its ssh thats using the new way, and xfce4 has not caught
> > up. I haven't a clue whats changed, but it did work several times,
> > then stopped.  Completely changing my passwd from this ssh login
> > worked, I backed out and tried it, worked as expected from ssh, but
> > is still rejected from its own keyboard, so I changed it back. ??
> > What library does that? Is there a version jump that arm did, but
> > got miss installed?
>
> ssh has -v (up to 3 times) for monitoring its behaviour.
>
> But are you're sure you're not thinking of something like LUKS1/LUKS2
> rather than any change in passwd hashing (which might be why you wrote
> "encrypting").

Never touched LUKS, any version.
> Cheers,
> David.