Re: 3 phase power (was Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?

On Thursday 01 August 2019 13:06:41 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Thursday, August 01, 2019 09:41:45 AM David Wright wrote:
> > Like a real locomotive, genuine '2-phase' electrical power has one
> > phase leading the other by 90°, and motors powered by it will be
> > self-starting. (Steam locomotives have double-acting pistons, so
> > they can choose the direction of rotation.)
>
> Have you ever encountered genuiine 2 phase electrical power?  (Or any
> multiphase power other than 3 phase?)  (Just curious -- I could not
> instantly think of an example.)

I think it has fallen out of use, the last I saw a 2 phase motor was in a
garage my in-law uncle built when he got back from WWII and REA came
down the road, running a cutoff wheel that was probably older than the
uncle. REA was back the next year, stringing the 3rd wire for 3 phase on
that mainline. So those poles still stand, carrying the neutral on th
tops of the poles and 2 14.4 kv lines on one side of the crossbar, and a
third one on the other end of the crossbar.  And I've noticed the wires
are rotated about 2x a mile. Load balancing perhaps, so when they hang
another can, the mechanical hookup is the same but its on a different
phase from the neighbor half a mile down the road.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis