gftp not getting remote file lists on Buster

I used to use kbear for updating my web pages but then it was dropped so I've been using gftp for the last several years. It still seems to be working for the most part but I have a site with one hosting company (directnic) that is giving me problems. I just have the one site with this host.

I can connect to the remote ftp server but the file list never downloads. Eventually the connection times out.

I can connect from the command line using ftp, view the remote directories and upload files, etc.. However this is a little painful.

Gftp still works with sites on another host.

Any ideas?