[RESOLVED/Thanks] Re: Debian Perl or Brew Perl for production application?

On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 01:36:52PM +0200, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> On 7/2/19 11:20 AM, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 06:30:19PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >> I tend to stick to Debian packages as my primary choice, resorting
> >> to off-distribution packages when needed (e.g. not packaged for
> >> Debian, or I /need/ a newer version). Of course it takes some foresight
> >> to guess in advance whether you expect such a situation in the
> >> future.
> >>
> >> Rationale: they mesh better with the flow of system updates/upgrades.
> >>
> >> I've found Perl packaging in Debian outstanding. The Debian Perl
> >> packaging team does a damn good job indeed.
> >
> > Pretty much the same here.  I was initially hired as a Perl developer,
> > then gradually moved into more sysadmin duties and, in both roles, I
> > prefer to stick with the Debian-packaged perl binary.  It gets me
> > security updates as needed and the only reasons I see a particular need
> > for PerlBrew and the like are:
> >
> > 1) You need different compile-time options than Debian chooses
> >
> > 2) You need access to a feature that's only present in a newer-than-
> >    Debian Perl version
> >
> > 3) You want to have the "latest and greatest" for its own sake
> >
> > Personally, I've never encountered #1 or #2 in practice and if #3
> > mattered to me, then I wouldn't be running Debian stable in the first
> > place.
> >

> +1 here, but in case one need the "latest and greatest" modules, in most
> cases it's dead simple to package a not-yet-packaged module with
> cpan2deb from dh-make-perl package.
>
> One of the benefits of this approach, is that you don't need to bring
> compilers and sources of the dependencies to the production machine.
> Build packages on a "development" node and install binary packages on
> the production.
>
> In case you need to replicate the setup, or you have more than one
> machine one can maintain a repository,making installation of a new
> system way easier.
>
> And you also can contribute back to Debian in case you packaged a new
> software.
>
> Best,
> Alex

Thank you all for your responses.

My position was indeed to stick with debian packages for the same reasons you
all mentioned. I am simply prone to self-doubt as my background is more of a
systems admin rather than a developer.

Kind regards,
Didar

--