Re: Function similar to {apt-cache recurse ...}?

On 06/28/2019 08:58 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 08:50:02AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 28 Jun 2019 at 08:04:43 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
"apt-get install" will report the size of the new files to be
installed when it asks for confirmation.

I'm looking for something similar which will base its calculation
*ONLY* on the contents of /var/lib/apt/lists/ {ignoring what is
already on the current system}.

I thought it already did; I posted this here six days ago:

   Calculating upgrade... Done
     …   …   …   …
   9 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
   Need to get 52.5 MB/52.5 MB of archives.
   After this operation, 74.8 kB of additional disk space will be used.
                         ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑    ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
   Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

If that's not what you mean, ask your question again avoiding words
like "similar" and "based on".

I read the OP's question as "the total installed size including
dependencies" -- assuming none of those dependencies has been
installed before (ex nihilo, so to speak).

Explicitly *YES*!
It's nice to have someone actually read what I write ;)

While that question sounds reasonable, it is not -- do you count
the base system, for exampla? That means "installed size" is
/always/ relative to some "base installation".

But perhaps my interpretation is wrong.

No. Perfectly correct.
I'm comparing possible approaches to a problem.
The "base install" is only loosely defined at this time.

Cheers
-- tomás