Re: Debian Releases

On Vi, 17 mai 19, 17:05:40, Francisco M Neto wrote:
> As the first in a series of (maybe 2) posts about Debian's release cycle, I'vecreated the following post.
>
> I would love to receive any feedback on it.
>
> http://fmneto.com.br/en/en/archives/2019/tracking-busters-release/

Disclaimer: below is based on lurking around Debian (including Developer
lists) for the past 10 years or so. Feel free to copy-paste whatever you
need without attribution.

The Release Team is choosing the freeze date after consulting with
package maintainers. Whenever possible it is chosen to account for the
different release schedules of the major upstream projects (Linux,
glibc, etc.).

Considering the amount of software included in Debian this is quite
challenging. An upstream project may or may not have a (predictable)
release cycle, stable / long term support / bugfixes only branch, etc.
which makes it even more difficult.

Depending on the complexity of upstream projects it may take significant
time to package a new (major) release (think Gnome, KDE, etc.).

Projects on which other software depends (libraries, programming
languages, etc.) will trigger transitions, which require a rebuild of
all depending packages at a minimum, but sometimes even a complete
rewrite of other software (e.g. Python 2 -> 3).

Hope this helps,
Andrei