Re: [Solved - sorta - part 2] Re: how to switch a Debian buster system from systemd to sys-v init

Quoting Rick Thomas (2019-06-25 03:32:41)
> > On Jun 23, 2019, at 2:24 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 05:45:39PM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> >>
> >> Purely out of curiosity, I'd like to see what's involved in
> >> switching a Debian buster system from systemd to sysv init.
> >
> > The short version [1]:
> >
> >  apt-get install -y sysvinit-core
>
> So our goal is to start with a working Debian buster system with the
> Mate desktop using the systemd init, and convert it to a working
> buster system with no desktop gui, and using the sys-V init.
>
> As Tomas points out, basically all you should have to do is “apt-get
> install sysvinit-core”, and the rest should be fully automatic.  This
> may have worked with Debian stretch, but it’s a bit more complicated
> with buster.  In particular, there seems to be some parts of the old
> dbus stuff left around that cause the long pauses I’ve mentioned
> previously.  This may be a bug and should be reported, but I have no
> idea what package to report it against, or what a suitable proposed
> fix would be.
>
> In any case, the solution I came up with is
>
>     apt-get --purge install -y sysvinit-core dbus- glib-networking- libgtk-3-0-
>     apt-get --purge autoremove
>
> Note the trailing minus-signs on dbus- glib-networking- libgtk-3-0-
> These packages need to be deleted in the same pass as sysvinit-core is
> added.

Seems this would work as well, with less collateral damage:

  apt install -y sysvinit-core elogind
  apt --purge autoremove

Would be helpful to know if those experiencing long pause in
dbus-depending environments had _no_ dbus installed (and actively
running) or had it running with elogind.

 - Jonas