Re: New nomeclature of ethernet devices

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 01:05:56PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> However, if you upgraded to stretch, I think you'd have to show that
> you'd allowed the system to preserve the old names, rather than trying
> to circumvent Debian's methods for doing so. Isn't that what you've done?

Upgrades to stretch keep the "eth0" style names.

> I think
> you're meant to live with the old names if you were upgrading, unless
> you know more that the wiki writer who wrote: "Upgrades to Stretch
> will retain the old device names - despite what you will read on the
> web - removing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-local-persistent-net.rules will
> not give you the new names even if followed with a update-initramfs -u
> and update-grub. ( have not yet found the correct Debian incantations
> for this yet?? )"

Had to use google to search the wiki to find out what page you're
talking about here.

Here's when it was added:

<https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration?action=diff&rev2=95&rev1=94>

For what it's worth, the Buster (not Stretch) release notes say:

  If your system was upgraded from an earlier release, and still uses
  the old-style network interface names that were deprecated with
  stretch (such as eth0 or wlan0), you should be aware that udev in
  buster no longer supports the mechanism of defining their names via
  /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. To avoid the danger of
  your machine losing networking after the upgrade to buster, it is
  recommended that you migrate in advance to the new naming scheme [...]

This is at
<https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#migrate-interface-names>
and includes steps to do this.